Orthopedic Surgery Virtual Visiting Medical Student Rotation
Visiting away rotations are a vital part of how NYU Langone’s Department of Orthopedic Surgery evaluates medical students who are interested in applying to our residency training program. The away rotation has allowed our faculty to assess each participating student’s knowledge base, clinical skills, and ability to work as part of the orthopedic team.
In turn, participating in a visiting rotation has allowed interested students to get a firsthand experience of our training environment, our faculty’s dedication to resident education, and the breadth and depth of clinical experiences provided at our seven clinical training sites.
As is the case with many large academic medical centers across the United States who are following the recommendations of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), visiting away rotations at NYU Grossman School of Medicine are currently unavailable due to the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
In response, we have developed a virtual visiting medical student rotation for students who are interested in learning more about our residency training program. The program runs monthly from July 2020 through December 2020.
Students who are accepted to our four-week virtual visiting medical student rotation can expect to obtain the following experiences:
- participate in our weekly Wednesday morning academic conference, which includes three hour-long lectures on topics in orthopedic surgery, orthopedic basic science, and the practice of orthopedic medicine
- participate in our weekly team-based conferences, including indications reviews in adult reconstruction and spine surgery, case-based didactics in sports medicine and shoulder and elbow surgery, topic reviews in hand surgery, pediatric orthopedics, and orthopedic trauma
- participate in weekly medical student–specific journal clubs
- participate in weekly medical student–specific didactic lectures
- have the opportunity to get involved with ongoing research projects
Students are paired with both a faculty advisor and an orthopedic resident to better understand the benefits of our training program and help navigate the residency application process.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to our virtual visiting medical student rotation, please complete the application below. Randie Godette, our residency program coordinator, may contact you to email us a copy of your CV.
If you have questions, contact Ms. Godette at firstname.lastname@example.org or a member of our leadership team: Eric J. Strauss, MD, residency program director, at email@example.com; Mara Karamitopoulos, MD, associate residency program director, at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Ran Schwarzkopf, MD, associate residency program director, at email@example.com.