Institute for Innovations in Medical Education Publications
At NYU School of Medicine, the Institute for Innovations in Medical Education helps faculty publish their work in peer-reviewed journals and books.
Below is a sampling of our faculty’s recent publications in subjects ranging from technology and informatics to research in medical education.
Technology and Informatics
- Yingling S. Using Digital Health Tools for Innovation in Medical Education. [Interview]. Journal of Communication in Healthcare. 2015;8(4):258-259.
- Cook D, Triola M. Educational Technologies in Health Professions Education: Current State and Future Directions. In: Stuart G, Triola M. Enhancing Health Professions Education through Technology: Building a Continuously Learning Health System. Proceedings of a conference sponsored by the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation. 2015;71-111.
- Triola M. Perspective: Transforming Medical Education Through Informatics. Innovations in Global Medical and Health Education. 2014;1(4).
- Cheng A, Lang TR, Starr SR, Pusic M, Cook DA. Technology-Enhanced Simulation and Pediatric Education: A Meta-Analysis. Pediatrics. 2014;133(5):e1313-1323.
- Djukic M, Fulmer T, Adams JG, Lee S, Triola MM. NYU3T: Teaching, Technology, Teamwork: A Model for Interprofessional Education Scalability and Sustainability. Nursing Clinics of North America. 2012;47(3):333-346.
- Qualter J, Sculli F, Oliker A, Napier Z, Lee S, Garcia J, Frenkel S, Harnik V, Triola MM. The BioDigital Human: A Web-Based 3D Platform for Medical Visualization and Education. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 2012;173:359-361.
- Triola MM, Friedman E, Cimino C, Geyer EM, Wiederhorn J, Mainiero C. Health Information Technology and the Medical School Curriculum. American Journal of Managed Care. 2010;16(12 Suppl HIT):SP54-SP56.
Educational Design and Delivery
- Crowe R, Yingling S. Toward Full Student Engagement in Pre-Clerkship Training. Medical Education. 2015;49(11):1144-1145.
- Djukic M, Adams J, Fulmer T, Szyld D, Lee S, Oh SY, Triola M. E-Learning with Virtual Teammates: A Novel Approach to Interprofessional Education. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2015;29(5):476-482.
- Paul S, Pusic M, Gillespie C. Medical Student Lecture Attendance vs. iTunes U. Medical Education. 2015;49(5):530-531.
- Kessler D, Pusic M, Chang TP, Fein DM, Grossman D, Mehta R, White M, Jang J, Whitfill T, Auerbach M, for the INSPIRE LP Investigators. Impact of Just-in-Time and Just-in-Place Simulation on Intern Success with Infant Lumbar Puncture. Pediatrics. 2015;135(5):e1237-1246.
- Yavner SD, Pusic MV, Kalet AL, Song HS, Hopkins MA, Nick MW, Ellaway RH. Twelve Tips for Improving the Effectiveness of Web-Based Multimedia Instruction for Clinical Learners. Medical Teacher. 2015;37(3):239-244.
- Cook D, Triola M. What Is the Role of E-Learning? Looking Past the Hype. Medical Education. 2014;48(9):930-937.
- Cheng A, Auerbach M, Hunt EA, Chang TP, Pusic M, Nadkarni V, Kessler D. Designing and Conducting Simulation-Based Research. Pediatrics. 2014;133(6);1091-1101.
- Pusic MV, Brydges R, Kessler D, Szyld D, Nachbar M, Kalet A. What’s Your Best Time? Chronometry in the Learning of Medical Procedures. Medical Education. 2014;48(5):479-488.
- Pusic MV, Ching K, Yin HS, Kessler D. Seven Practical Principles for Improving Patient Education: Evidence-Based Ideas from Cognition Science. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2014;19(3):119-122.
- Song HS, Pusic M, Nick MW, Sarpel U, Plass JL, Kalet AL. The Cognitive Impact of Interactive Design Features for Learning Complex Materials in Medical Education. Computers and Education. 2014;71:198-205.
Evaluation and Outcomes
- Zabar S, Adams J, Kurland S, Shaker-Brown A, Porter B, Horlick M, Hanley K, Altshuler L, Gillespie C. Charting a Key Competency Domain: Understanding Resident Physician Interprofessional Collaboration (IPC) Skills. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2016;31(8):846–853.
- Gillespie C, Zabar S, Altshuler L, Fox J, Pusic M, Xu J, Kalet A. The Research on Medical Education Outcomes (ROMEO) Registry: Addressing Ethical and Practical Challenges of Using “Bigger,” Longitudinal Educational Data. Academic Medicine. 2016;91(5):690-695.
- Winkel AF, Gillespie C, Uquillas K, Zabar S, Szyld D. Assessment of Developmental Progress Using an Objective Structured Clinical Examination-Simulation Hybrid Examination for Obstetrics and Gynecology Residents. Journal of Surgical Education. 2016;73(2):230-237.
- Patrawalla P, Eisen LA, Shiloh A, Shah BJ, Savenkov O, Wise W, Evans L, Mayo P, Szyld D. Development and Validation of an Assessment Tool for Competency in Critical Care Ultrasound. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2015;7(4):567-573.
- Zabar S, Hanley K, Stevens D, Murphy J, Burgess A, Kalet A, Gillespie C. Unannounced Standardized Patients: A Promising Method of Assessing Patient-Centered Care in Your Health Care System. BMC Health Services Research. 2014;14:157.
- Winkel AF, Gillespie C, Hiruma MT, Goepfert AR, Zabar S, Szyld D. Test of Integrated Professional Skills: Objective Structured Clinical Examination/Simulation Hybrid Assessment of Obstetrics-Gynecology Residents’ Skill Integration. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2014;6(1):117-122.
- Bhatia ND, Gillespie CC, Berger AJ, Hochberg MS, Ogilvie, JB. Cutting Too Deep? Assessing the Impact of a Shorter Surgery Clerkship on Students’ Clinical Skills and Knowledge. American Journal of Surgery. 2014;207(2):209-212.
- Pecaric M, Boutis K, Beckstead J, Pusic MV. A Big Data and Learning Analytics Approach to Process-Level Feedback in Cognitive Simulations. Academic Medicine. 2016; Epub ahead of print.
- Beckstead JW, Boutis K, Pecaric M, Pusic MV. Sequential Dependencies in Categorical Judgments of Radiographic Images. Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2016; Epub ahead of print.
- Pusic MV, Chiaramonte R, Gladding S, Andrews JS, Pecaric MR, Boutis K. Accuracy of Self-Monitoring During Learning of Radiograph Interpretation. Medical Education. 2015;49(8):838-846.
- Pusic MV, Boutis K, Hatala R, Cook D. Learning Curves in Health Professions Education. Academic Medicine. 2015;90(8):1034-1042.
- Ellaway RH, Pusic M, Yavner S, Kalet AL. Context Matters: Emergent Variability in an Effectiveness Trial of Online Teaching Modules. Medical Education. 2014;48(4):386-396.
- Ellaway RH, Pusic MV, Galbraith RM, Cameron T. Developing the Role of Big Data and Analytics in Health Professional Education. Medical Teacher. 2014;36(3):216-222.
Research in Medical Education
- Thayer EK, Rathkey D, Miller MF, Palmer R, Mejicano GC, Pusic M, Kalet A, Gillespie C, Carney PA. Applying the Institutional Review Board Data Repository Approach to Manage Ethical Considerations in Evaluating and Studying Medical Education. Medical Education Online. 2016;21:32021.
- Cangiarella J, Gillespie C, Shea JA, Morrison G, Abramson SB. Accelerating Medical Education: Survey of Deans and Program Directors. Medical Education Online. 2016;21:31794.
- Brown D, Gillespie C, Warren J. EPA 9–Collaborate as a Member of an Interprofessional Team: A Short Communication from the AAMC Core EPAs for Entering Residency Pilot Schools. Medical Science Educator. 2016;26(3):457-461.
- Rogers E, Smelson D, Gillespie C, Elbel B, Poole S, Hagedorn H, Kalman D, Krebs P, Fang Y, Wang B, Sherman S. Telephone Smoking-Cessation Counseling for Smokers in Mental Health Clinics: A Patient-Randomized Controlled Trial. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2016;50(4):518-527.