Educational program

Conferences, lectures and meetings

The comprehensive educational program of the NYU Urology Residency aims to instruct residents on the latest developments in all areas of urology. Instruction includes:

  • Weekly topic-oriented lectures by Urology faculty covering all disciplines of urology
  • Weekly conferences on related topics given by faculty in Radiology, Transplant Surgery, Nephrology, Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, etc.
  • A surgical skills lab
  • Weekly Grand Rounds
  • Monthly Morbidity and Mortality (M & M) conference
  • Monthly Journal Club
  • Didactic lectures prepared by faculty and residents

In addition, residents attend the annual NYU Post-Graduate “State-of-the-Art” Urology course, the American Urological Association Annual Meeting and the New York Academy of Medicine Conferences. Select residents, depending on their clinical and research interests, are also encouraged to attend the annual meetings of the World Congress of Endourology, the Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology, the Society of Urologic Oncology and the American Society of Reproductive Medicine.

Affiliated hospitals

NYU Langone Medical Center/Tisch Hospital

The New York University medical institutions have played a prominent role in the history of American medicine. The New York University Medical School was established in 1841 at a site on lower Broadway. The school initially enrolled 239 medical students and boasted of six professors, and the American Medical Association was founded in 1841 at New York University Medical School. The Medical School first moved to Third Avenue and 14th Street in 1851, then opposite Bellevue Hospital on First Avenue in 1876.

In 1947, New York University Medical Center merged with the New York Post-Graduate Hospital to become University Hospital. The University Hospital provided facilities for education, research and patient care. University Hospital and the School of Medicine relocated from their site across from Bellevue Hospital to their current site spanning from 30th to 34th Streets along the East River.

In 1963, the 726-bed University Hospital was renamed Tisch Hospital after a prominent and generous benefactor, Lawrence Tisch. Tisch Hospital rapidly became recognized as a major tertiary hospital in New York City. Now comprising 879 beds, Tisch attracts patients from around the world.

April 1999 marked the opening of the Minimally Invasive Urology Unit (MIUU) at Tisch. The MIUU, which is geared toward minimally invasive urologic surgery, comprises five operating rooms, two to three of which are used by the Department of Urology. It is equipped with state-of-the-art lasers, laparoscopic and endoscopic equipment and a da Vinci robotic surgical system. The Kimmel Pavilion, a new state-of-the-art hospital building adjacent to Tisch, was opened in 2018 and allows us to provide quality care to an increased number of patients in both the inpatient and outpatient settings. This new addition features private rooms with big screen TVs for every patient and uses robots to assist in the daily care on the wards.

Bellevue Hospital

The origins of Bellevue Hospital can be traced to pre-Revolutionary War days, when in 1658, an infirmary for the poor was established in New Amsterdam. When the colony came under English rule, the Charter of 1731 provided for the construction of a municipal hospital at the site of the present City Hall---the first of its kind in the United States. In 1787, Bellevue Medical College was established in the old almshouse hospital, and after the New York epidemic of yellow fever in 1795, the old almshouse hospital was moved to the Belle Vue Mansion, an "estate about three miles out of town" on the East River. The first Bellevue Hospital was opened in 1826 for the "care of the sick and for the clinical instruction of medical students."

A new amphitheater was approved by the medical board and formally opened at Bellevue on March 2, 1849. Dr. William H. Van Buren, an outstanding scholar and surgeon then 30 years of age, participated in the ceremonies by doing a perineal lithotomy. In 1850, beds at the Bellevue Hospital were allocated to three medical and surgical divisions---Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York University Medical College and Bellevue Medical College shared control of each division. A house staff was organized for an 18-month residency, and residency diplomas were granted beginning in 1852. Bellevue Hospital Medical College was established in 1859, and in 1898, Bellevue Hospital and Bellevue Medical College merged. That same year, Cornell University Medical College was founded, and Cornell assumed direction of the Second Division.

Dr. W.H. Van Buren was appointed Professor of Genitourinary Diseases at Bellevue Medical College in 1877 and is recognized for establishing the first Chair of Urology in the United States. Dr. E. L. Keyes, Sr., remarked, "Bellevue Hospital has been the Mother of Urologists, and Van Buren’s service, the first urologic ward in this country." Urologic patients were distributed among the three surgical divisions until February 1902, when all the urologic beds were grouped together under Dr. E.L. Keyes, Sr., who succeeded Dr. Van Buren. The impact Bellevue has had on the specialty of urology is perhaps best illustrated by the abbreviated list of some illustrious urologists who have served on the staff: W. H. Van Buren, E.L. Keyes, Sr., Charles A. Chetwood, R.W. Taylor, Tilden Brown, E. L. Keyes, Jr., Joseph McCarthy, Alfred T. Osgood, F. Valentine, David MacKenzie, Byard Clark, Oswald S. Lowsley, George F. Cahill, A.R. Stevens, Benjamin Barringer, Howard Jeck, Meredith Campbell, John W. Draper, and Robert S. Hotchkiss. To this day, the major urologic textbook, Campbell’s Urology, bears the name of its first editor, Meredith Campbell, a Bellevue urologist.

In 1968, NYU assumed responsibility for all medical and surgical divisions at Bellevue Hospital, and a new Bellevue Hospital was built in 1975. Bellevue Hospital is now an integral part of the New York University Medical Center Residency Programs. The hospital is a tertiary city hospital with 912 beds and is well known for a diverse patient population and an extensive array of urologic pathology passing through its doors.

Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Manhattan Campus)

The VA Medical Center is an 851-bed hospital located between 23rd and 25th Streets on the East Side of Manhattan. The hospital was built in 1955 and has always been associated with NYU. In August of 1993, as part of a modernization plan, a new wing was opened that included operating room facilities and outpatient clinics. The VA Medical Center has state-of-the-art laser, endoscopic, laparoscopic, robotic, and urodynamic equipment.

The VA Medical Center is also home to some of the NYU Urology Department’s basic research laboratories.

Clinical research

Training in the performance and interpretation of clinical research is an essential part of the NYU Urology Residency. PGY3 residents choose an academic faculty mentor and spend time focusing on clinical research on a topic of their choosing. All residents are expected to submit at least one peer-reviewed paper for publication based on the work done during the rotation.