Information for International Postdoctoral Fellows | NYU Langone Health

Skip to Main Content
Resources for Postdoctoral Fellows Information for International Postdoctoral Fellows

Information for International Postdoctoral Fellows

At NYU Grossman School of Medicine, postdoctoral scholars come from all over the world to work with our renowned researchers—more than 65 percent of our postdocs are from outside of the United States. We know that arriving in New York City and navigating government processes can be daunting, so we’ve provided a few tips to ease your transition.

Your Employment Visa

Our Immigration Services staff can help you obtain an employment visa, ensuring compliance with all government regulations relating to the employment of international scholars. Immigration Services can also process requests for extensions, transfers, and status changes for postdocs who have had employment in the United States before. Immigration Services also answers any questions you have regarding tax treaties or exclusions.

If there is any change in your immigration status during your time as a postdoctoral fellow, contact our Immigration Services staff immediately at 212-404-3862.

You can also get current information on immigration policies and services by visiting the websites of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the U.S. Department of State.

Providing International Education Credentials

If you received your graduate degree from an institution outside the United States, you must provide NYU Grossman School of Medicine with an official evaluation of your credentials before you begin work as a postdoc. This evaluation should reference the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) Electronic Database for Global Education and state that your credentials are equivalent to that of a similar degree granted in the United States.

We recommend that you use a credentials service such as World Education Services, Trustforte Corporation, International Education Research Foundation, Foreign Credentials Service of America, or Educational Credential Evaluators.

If your education credentials are not in English, provide a certified translation.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

Within 10 days of arrival at NYU Langone, new international postdocs schedule an appointment with NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s Immigration Services staff to learn how to obtain a Social Security number. It can also be helpful to visit the U.S. Social Security Administration website to familiarize yourself with the process.

After meeting with our Immigration Services staff, visit the Social Security Administration office to obtain a Social Security number or complete the online application form.

After you obtain a Social Security number, contact our Immigration Services staff so they can update your payroll and benefits records. If you have questions about tax deductions reflected on your paycheck, call our finance services center at 212-404-4200.

Obtaining a New York State Driver’s License or ID Card

During your stay in New York, you may find it helpful to have a state-issued driver’s license or nondriver state ID card. Although your passport is your primary form of identification, a driver’s license or ID card can serve as a valid form of supplementary identification. That means you can leave your passport at home, where it is safe. A driver’s license or ID card also lists your U.S. address, whereas other types of identification, such as a credit card or student ID, do not.

Learn more about applying for a New York State driver’s license or ID card.

English Language Courses

NYU Langone’s Office of Organizational Development and Learning offers free English as a second language (ESL) courses for postdocs. ESL classes can help you improve your English, especially your conversational skills. For more information or to register for a class, please complete this form.