Bariatric & Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship
NYU Langone’s Department of Surgery offers a one-year Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship under the directorship of George S. Ferzli, MD. Our fellowship trains physicians in the most advanced laparoscopic and endoscopic procedures.
Fellows in our program learn to perform complex laparoendoscopic procedures and develop an understanding of diagnosis, perioperative and postoperative evaluation, and follow-up care for patients. We accept one candidate each year into the program.
Our fellowship provides opportunities to train with subspecialists in urology, gynecology, and thoracic and vascular surgery as trainees gain skills and experience performing the following types of surgery:
- biliary or pancreatic surgery
- bowel surgery
- esophageal surgery
- gastric sleeve surgery and Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)
- gynecologic surgery
- hernia surgery
- solid organ surgery
- urologic surgery
Additionally, fellows participate in research activities and train surgical residents and medical students. They also attend and present at national and international meetings, including the annual meeting of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). These meetings give fellows opportunities to interact with experts in the field and gain exposure to the latest developments, techniques, and laparoscopic technology.
During our program, fellows rotate among the following locations, each of which provides training in robotic surgery:
- Tisch Hospital and Kimmel Pavilion: 2 months
- NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue: 4 months
- NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn: 6 months
They are also involved in outpatient clinical care once a week, seeing patients before and after their surgery.
Duration of Fellowship Training
Appointments to the fellowship run from August 1 through July 31 of the next year. Fellows spend 90 percent of their time in clinical activities and 10 percent engaged in research.
Fellowship Eligibility Requirements and Application Process
To apply for the Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
- be a graduate of a U.S. or Canadian medical school
- have passed the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) or Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) Step 1, 2, and 3 exams
- be board-certified or -eligible by the American Board of Surgery, the American Osteopathic Board of Surgery, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- have a New York State medical license
Applications to the Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship must be submitted online through The Fellowship Council. The application deadline is November 12, 2020.
Chosen applicants will be invited for an interview. Final selection is made via a separate Fellowship Council matching process.
For more information about the Bariatric and Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship, please contact Harleigh Schumer, fellowship coordinator, at email@example.com or 212-263-6378.