How to Apply to the MD Program
Applying to NYU School of Medicine involves several steps, including a general primary application and a secondary medical school–specific application.
We participate in the American Medical College Application Service® (AMCAS), a centralized application processing service of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). To complete this application, you need the following:
- personal biographical information
- official transcripts from each postsecondary institution you have attended, regardless of whether you earned credit
- a list of postsecondary courses, grades, and credits earned
- information about work experience, extracurricular activities, awards, honors, or publications
- letters of evaluation
- personal essays
- Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT) score
- application fees or a waiver from the AAMC Fee Assistance program
More detailed information on how to fill out each section of the AMCAS® application, certify and submit your application, and monitoring your application status are available from the AAMC. You must register with the AAMC and create an account to begin.
NYU School of Medicine Secondary and Tertiary Applications
After you finish the AMCAS® application, you must complete a secondary application for the medical school you wish to attend. If you have selected NYU School of Medicine as a choice, AMCAS® sends us your completed primary application. We then invite you to complete this secondary application with instructions for how to access Amp, our secure online application portal (requires NYU School of Medicine–provided password).
To complete the secondary NYU School of Medicine application, you provide the following:
- a premedical committee appraisal letter (preferred) or two letters from professors who taught you in courses (at least one in science), plus other letters you wish to submit
- a $120 nonrefundable application fee, payable by credit card, unless you have obtained a fee waiver from the AAMC Fee Assistance Program
Three-Year MD Application
NYU School of Medicine is one of the first U.S. medical schools to offer an accelerated three-year MD pathway and the first medical school in the country to offer early, conditional acceptance into any of our affiliated residency programs.
If you want to pursue the three-year MD, you can submit your tertiary three-year MD application at the same time as your secondary NYU School of Medicine application. We also accept applications to the three-year MD program after enrollment in order to provide you with additional opportunities to enter the pathway. Applying early maximizes your chance of being accepted in the residency program of your choice.
In addition to the tertiary application for the three-year MD program, in which you identify the residency program of your choice, you also complete two essays detailing your interest in and qualifications for that residency program.
Dual MD/Master’s Degree Applications
We offer several dual MD/master’s degree programs that give you the option of completing a graduate degree in either four or five years as part of your MD degree.
If you would like to pursue one of these options, you indicate your interest on your AMCAS® application. You must first be accepted to NYU School of Medicine and can then apply to the master’s portion of the dual degree program after matriculation.
We currently offer the following dual MD/master’s degrees:
- MD/MPA in health policy and management, in partnership with NYU Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service
- MD/MPH in global health leadership and the MD/MA in bioethics, in partnership with NYU College of Global Public Health
- MD/MS in translational research through our Clinical and Translational Science Institute
- MD/MBA in general management, in partnership with NYU Stern School of Business