Harkness Center for Dance Injuries Education
At NYU Langone’s Harkness Center for Dance Injuries, we offer educational programs for the dance and medical communities. Our goal is to help prevent injuries and illnesses in dancers and give professionals the knowledge and skills they need to evaluate and treat these problems when they do occur. We provide innovative, practical, and relevant lectures and workshops to dancers and educational opportunities for established and aspiring medical professionals interested in a career in dance medicine.
Our educational programs have two primary goals:
- to train and expand the network of specialized medical caregivers
- to promote wellness and injury prevention for dancers and dance educators by offering affordable lectures and workshops to dance schools, dance companies, dance service organizations, universities and colleges, groups for parents of dancers, and civic groups
At the heart of our educational programming is DanceMedU, a platform that provides access to our accredited online course series (new users are required to create an account to login). Our acclaimed continuing medical education course, Principles of Dance Medicine: Clinical Management of the Dancer Patient, is available through DanceMedU and has guided hundreds of healthcare professionals and dance communities around the world.
Live education courses are also available. Both our live and online continuing medical education and continuing education unit courses allow us to share our clinical best practices. Our live education course calendar includes, but is not limited to the following:
- winter event for healthcare practitioners
- summer event for dance educators
- spring and fall coffee chats
Our educational offerings also include internship opportunities for college and graduate students, clinical rotations for orthopedic residents, senior affiliations for athletic training students and physical therapy students, and fellowship opportunities for postgraduate orthopedic physical therapists.
Funding for the Principles of Dance Medicine curricula is provided in part by the Harkness Foundation for Dance.