Obstetrics & Gynecology Electives for Visiting Medical Students
Visiting fourth-year medical students can enroll in electives offered by NYU Langone’s Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Our electives are intended to supplement a third-year core clerkship in the specialty and provide clinical responsibility and experience in the various obstetrics and gynecology subspecialties. Visiting students also have opportunities to participate in clinical and laboratory research.
Our department designs electives to meet individual students’ needs and interests. Visiting students become an integral part of our team and work closely with fellows, residents, and faculty members in our department’s various divisions.
Electives may be scheduled throughout the school year, subject to the approval of the department. Each elective lasts one month but may be extended if the student arranges it with the preceptor. To view the official elective programs that we offer, please visit the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Elective Catalog.
How to Apply
U.S. applicants must be enrolled in a Liaison Committee on Medical Education–accredited medical school.
To apply, please send us the following items together in one envelope:
- an application form completed by you and the dean of your home school; the school seal must be affixed to the application before submission
- a statement of interest addressed to Beatrice L. Telzak, MD
- your CV
- your transcript (can be unofficial)
- your U.S. Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) Step 1 score
- a copy of certification in basic life support
- an NYU Grossman School of Medicine Medical Student Health Service Visiting Student Medical Form, including proof of rubella immunity and screening for tuberculosis
- an influenza vaccination form
- a copy of your personal insurance card
- official malpractice insurance coverage documentation from your home school
We must receive these items before you enroll. Only one application is submitted for all obstetrics and gynecology electives. You can specify subspecialty and date preferences in a checklist provided by our coordinator during the submission process. Learn more about visiting student application materials.
Send all applications to the following address:
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Attn: Luz-María Villa, clerkship coordinator
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
550 First Avenue, NB 9E2
New York, NY 10016
Visiting medical students receive a confirmation letter upon acceptance to the program. You must then contact the preceptor to confirm your start date, arrange meetings, and discuss further details.
A one-time $125 registration fee is due on your first day. The fee is payable via check or money order to the Office of Registration and Student Records. We also collect a $5 service fee for identification badges.
All visiting students must report to the following address at 9:00AM on their official start date:
Office of Registration and Student Records
550 First Avenue, MS G90
Medical Science Building
New York, NY 10016
To complete enrollment, ask your home medical school to send your formal evaluation form to Luz-María Villa, clerkship coordinator, at email@example.com.