Information for Visiting MD Students
Before attending an elective, all students must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (two doses and one booster) of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or since receipt of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.
Electives for Visiting Students
NYU Grossman School of Medicine offers clinical electives to students in their final year of training at another United States medical school. Your school must be accredited by either the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.
To enroll in a clinical elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, you must meet the following requirements:
- receive permission from your medical school to participate in a visiting elective (see Section 2 of the visiting student elective application)
- be taking the elective for credit towards your degree
- have completed the prerequisites for the requested elective
Application Process for Visiting MD Students
To apply for an elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine as a visiting student, please submit the following materials:
- a completed visiting student elective application and the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (your school’s seal must be visible on page 1 of the application)
- applicant must be in good academic standing at their home medical school
- applicant must receive permission from home medical school to participate in a visiting elective at our institution
- applicant must take the elective for credit towards their MD degree
- applicant must have completed the prerequisites for the requested elective
- applicant must have completed satisfactorily the core clinical clerkship requirements comparable to NYU Grossman School of Medicine core (minimally, Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and Neurology)
- applicant must be in compliance with NYU Grossman School of Medicine immunization requirements–all applicants are required to complete the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form. NYU Grossman School of Medicine strictly abides by these immunization guidelines.
- provide medical school transcript
- provide a certificate of malpractice insurance from home institution in the amount of $1 million per occurrence/$3 million per annual aggregate
- provide documentation that applicant completed universal precautions training to ensure compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- provide documentation of certification, within the last two years, in basic cardiac life support
- provide documentation of fit testing for an N95 mask
- provide documentation of personal health insurance coverage
- provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination (2 doses and 1 booster) prior to the start of the clinical elective.
- at the conclusion of the elective, a performance assessment form must be completed and returned to home medical school by the sponsored educational department
The completed visiting student elective application, and the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (signed by a healthcare provider), must be sent to the department offering the elective you are applying to. Your application will be reviewed and approved by the department. If you are notified that your application is incomplete, promptly forward the requested information to the department. You are not permitted to begin an elective until your visiting student elective application, AAMC Standardized Immunization Form, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination are received.
Please refer to our MD Elective Catalog for elective descriptions and departmental contact information.
Visiting students must confirm their elective schedules with the departmental coordinator listed in the elective catalog (see elective description). The coordinator will provide details about the time and location of your elective before your arrival. If you wish to cancel participation in an elective, notify the coordinator at least 30 days prior to the elective start date. As per current AAMC guidelines, you may complete one four-week elective (see elective dates below).
The department will provide you with basic PPE (i.e., gowns, gloves, surgical masks) but not a face shield. Since an N95 needs to be properly fit tested for the specific student, you must bring an adequate number of N95 masks. If you do not have an N95 and face shield, you will not be able to see patients where that level of PPE is indicated.
Prior to beginning the elective, you are required to review the NYU Grossman School of Medicine policy on Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens and mistreatment reporting.
Students are encouraged to report mistreatment that they personally experienced (or witnessed) by using the anonymous mistreatment reporting form (Kerberos ID and password required for login) or by contacting Verity E. Schaye, MD, MHPE, assistant dean of medical education for the clinical sciences, at email@example.com. All reports are confidential.
Registration Process for Visiting MD Students
To complete the registration process, on the first day of the rotation, the following documents must be brought to the Office of Registration and Student Records, 550 First Ave, Medical Science Building, Room G-90.
- visiting student elective registration form
- a copy of a valid photo ID (e.g., state driver’s license or current school ID)
- registration fee in the form of a $125 check, made payable to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine
After your registration is complete, you will be given a voucher and directions to the NYU Langone Security Administration Office (Medical Science Building, Room MS 1 160) to receive a temporary visiting student ID badge.
NYU Langone Security Office Hours
Mondays: 6:30AM to 12:30PM
Tuesdays: 8:30AM to 3:00PM
Wednesdays: 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Thursdays: 8:30AM to 12:30PM
Fridays: 10:00AM to 3:00PM
All ID and access requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact Security Administration at 212-263-5038, Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM.
Four-Week Elective Dates (2023)
|Month||Start Date||End Date|
|January||January 3, 2023||January 29, 2023|
|February||January 30, 2023||February 26, 2023|
|March||February 27, 2023||March 26, 2023|
|April||April 3, 2023||April 30, 2023|
|May||May 1, 2023||May 28, 2023|
|June||May 29, 2023||June 25, 2023|
|July||July 3, 2023||July 30, 2023|
|August||July 31, 2023||August 27, 2023|
|September||August 28, 2023||September 24, 2023|
|October||October 2, 2023||October 29, 2023|
|November||October 30, 2023||November 26, 2023|
|December||November 27, 2023||December 24, 2023|
Inclement Weather Notice
During the fall and winter seasons, there is the possibility that severe weather may impact our area and affect your elective schedule and clinical rotations. Our Emergency Management and Enterprise Resilience Department will send a text message to your mobile device providing updates on closures and cancellations when the potential for emergency weather action exists.
Your elective coordinator/preceptor will also communicate any cancellations or interruptions of your elective. We recommend that you obtain emergency contact details from your department. The NYU Langone Health emergency weather hotline is 212-263-2002.
Information for Non-LCME Students
Due to limited availability, we are unable to process requests for an elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine from students enrolled in non-LCME-approved medical schools. In addition, we do not offer an observer category.