Information for Visiting MD Students
Our residency programs are accepting visiting student applications for electives starting no earlier than July 1, 2021. Before attending an elective, all students must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with at least two weeks having passed since receipt of the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or since receipt of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Per the recommendations of the Coalition for Physician Accountability, in-person away rotations in any specialty are limited to one per learner.
Electives for Visiting Students
NYU Grossman School of Medicine offers clinical electives to students in their final year of training at another United States medical school. Your school must be accredited by either the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.
To enroll in a clinical elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, you must meet the following requirements:
- receive permission from your medical school to participate in a visiting elective (see Section 2 of the visiting student elective application)
- be taking the elective for credit towards your degree
- have completed the prerequisites for the requested elective
Application Process for Visiting MD Students
To apply for an elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine as a visiting student, please submit the following materials:
- a completed visiting student elective application and the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (your school’s seal must be visible on page 1 of the application)
- proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- documentation of certification, within in the last two years, in basic cardiac life support
- documentation of fit-testing for an N-95 mask
- documentation of malpractice insurance from your home institution in the amount of $1 million per occurrence/$3 million per annual aggregate
- documentation of personal health insurance coverage
- documentation that you completed universal precautions training to ensure compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The completed visiting student elective application, and the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (signed by a healthcare provider), must be sent to the department offering the elective you are applying to. Your application will be reviewed and approved by the department. If you are notified that your application is incomplete, promptly forward the requested information to the department. You are not permitted to begin an elective until your visiting student elective application, AAMC Standardized Immunization Form, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination is received.
Please refer to our MD Elective Catalog for elective descriptions and departmental contact information.
Visiting students must confirm their elective schedules with the departmental coordinator listed in the elective catalog (see elective description). The coordinator will provide details about the time and location of your elective before your arrival. If you wish to cancel participation in an elective, notify the coordinator at least 30 days prior to the elective start date. As per current AAMC guidelines, you may complete one four-week elective (see elective dates below).
The department will provide you with basic PPE (i.e. gowns, gloves, surgical masks) but not a face shield. Since an N95 needs to be properly fit tested for the specific student, you must bring an adequate number of N95 masks. If you do not have an N95 and face shield, you will not be able to see patients where that level of PPE is indicated.
Prior to beginning the elective you are required to review the NYU Grossman School of Medicine policy on Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens.
Registration Process for Visiting MD Students
To complete the registration process, on the first day of the rotation, the following documents must be brought to the Office of Registration and Student Records, 550 First Ave, Medical Science Building, Room G-90.
- visiting student elective registration form
- a copy of a valid photo ID (e.g. state driver’s license or current school ID)
- registration fee in the form of a $125 check, made payable to the NYU Grossman School of Medicine
After your registration is complete, you will be given a voucher and directions to the NYU Langone Security Administration Office (HCC Building Room 102D) to receive a temporary visiting student ID badge.
NYU Langone Security Office Hours
Mondays: 6:30AM to 12:00PM
Tuesdays: 11:00AM to 3:00PM
Wednesdays: 2:00PM to 6:30PM
Thursdays: 8:30AM to 12:30PM
Fridays: 12:00PM to 3:00PM
All ID and access requests should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, please contact Security Administration at 212-263-5038, Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM.
Four-Week Elective Dates (2021)
|MONTH||START DATE||END DATE|
|July||July 5, 2021||August 1, 2021|
|August||August 2, 2021||August 29, 2021|
|September||August 30, 2021||September 26, 2021|
|October||October 4, 2021||October 31, 2021|
|November||November 1, 2021||November 28, 2021|
|December||November 29, 2021||December 26, 2021|
Inclement Weather Notice
During the fall and winter seasons, there is the possibility that severe weather may impact our area and affect your elective schedule and clinical rotations. Our Emergency Management and Enterprise Resilience Department will send a text message to your mobile device providing updates on closures and cancellations when the potential for emergency weather action exists.
Your elective coordinator/preceptor will also communicate any cancellations or interruptions of your elective. We recommend that you obtain emergency contact details from your department. The NYU Langone Health emergency weather hotline is 212-263-2002.
Information for Non-LCME Students
Due to limited availability, we are unable to process requests for an elective at NYU Grossman School of Medicine from students enrolled in non-LCME-approved medical schools. In addition, we do not offer an observer category.