Plastic Surgery Observer Program
The Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery observer program allows physicians from around the world to attend our clinical sessions, lectures, and conferences and observe our surgeons in the operating room.
As a participant, you enhance your knowledge of plastic surgery subspecialties such as microsurgery, breast reconstructive surgery, aesthetic surgery, craniofacial surgery, wound care, and hand surgery. In addition, the program increases your familiarity with technological advances in the field and provides exposure to the largest academic group of board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States.
In accordance with institutional policy, all observers are limited to a one-month visit.
All observer visits to our department must be reviewed and approved by Eduardo D. Rodriguez, MD, DDS, department chair. Final approval is sent to NYU Langone’s chief medical officer.
To be an observer, you must complete an NYU Langone observer agreement form and health assessment form. We can send you the forms once a visit date is confirmed.
Application materials we require include the following:
- your CV
- a signed letter of recommendation from your chair or department head
- a copy of a relevant advanced degree (MD, DDS, research doctorate, or physician assistant certification)
- a copy of your government-issued photo identification (license or passport)
Additionally, we ask that you provide written documentation of the following:
- tuberculosis screening within the year before the observation period
- immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), adequate immunization with live MMR vaccines, and laboratory evidence of immunity
- a history of varicella, a positive (immune) titer, or two varicella vaccinations
- effective hepatitis B immunization (positive immune response, completed hepatitis immunization series, or a signed declination)
- receipt of influenza vaccines
- tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis vaccinations
Please make sure all documents are in English and send them in one large PDF file.
NYU Langone requires that all international observers obtain either a B-1 visa or visa waiver business status. Which of these you obtain is dependent on your country of citizenship.
As an observer, you do not receive any academic credit for this experience and are not considered to be a student, resident, fellow, or trainee of the Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery at NYU Langone. Please carefully read further details on the observer agreement form and the health assessment form, which clearly outline what you are allowed to do as an observer and what health screenings are required.
For more information about the observer program or to obtain an observer agreement form and a health assessment form, please contact Jenny Castaneda-Nakouzi, administrative coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-263-1059.