Anesthesiology Two-Week Elective
Preceptors: Ken Sutin, MD, and Elie Geara, MD
Coordinator: Ekaterina Tenety
Prerequisites: No prerequisite Core Clerkships. The NYU Grossman School of Medicine’s Dean’s Office must approve all students. This elective is not offered to visiting students.
The Department of Anesthesiology offers a two-week elective for an NYU Grossman School of Medicine student who has completed at least one Core Clerkship in Medicine or Surgery.
This comprehensive elective introduces the student to preoperative evaluation, intraoperative management and postoperative routine and critical care. Emphasis is placed on the scientific foundations of anesthesia, including organ-system pathophysiology, autonomic and anesthetic pharmacology, and hemodynamic monitoring. Morning case conferences and afternoon topical lectures will supplement operating room patient care responsibilities. In the operating room, there is a one-to-one teaching by both anesthesia residents and faculty. The student may elect to do a one-week rotation in a specialty field of anesthesia, e.g., obstetrics, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic or pediatrics. On-call responsibilities at Bellevue Hospital are elective and will be one evening per week during which time the student will work with the Bellevue Team Captain.
Objectives of the Elective
This elective introduces the student to preoperative evaluation, intraoperative management and postoperative care. The student will obtain a basic understanding of anesthesia, including organ-system pathophysiology, autonomic and anesthetic pharmacology, and hemodynamic monitoring.
Key Responsibilities of the student while on Elective
- To follow the course syllabus.
- To perform a preoperative anesthetic evaluation with the assistance of the resident.
- To acquire a basic understanding of airway management and use of airway devices, face mask, laryngeal mask airway, video laryngoscopy, laryngeal mask airway, and bronchoscope.
- To understand the patient's medical problems, the anesthetic implications and to help develop a rational anesthetic plan.
- To assist the anesthesia resident in setting up the operating room in the morning and participate in the case management during the day.
- To attend teaching conferences, lectures, and departmental conferences.
In general, the program is as follows:
- 6:45AM – 7AM Anesthesia Management Conference at Bellevue (currently paused during pandemic).
- 7:30AM – 4PM in the Operating Room.
- 12:00PM Lecture/Rounds at Bellevue, 4:00PM Preoperative/postoperative patient evaluations.
- 2PM Daily Lectures via Webex.
- Every Monday 6:45AM Grand Rounds, Visiting Professor Lecture via Webex.
- Every Tuesday 5:00 pm Departmental PBLI via Webex.
- Simulation session are usually held at the Manhattan VA Thursdays at 2PM, schedule will be emailed.
- At the end of the elective, students are asked to prepare a presentation on a topic of interest.
Method of Evaluation
Evaluation is based on performance and participation during the rotation, knowledge and growth, patient interaction, ability to work as a team member, conference attendance, and completed evaluation forms.
Months offered: August–June
Duration: 2 weeks
Students per Period: 8
Report To: On first day report to Bellevue Hospital, RM 12E21 at 6:45AM