Preceptor: Jackleen Marji, MD
Course Code: 03-01
During the elective, the student will be exposed to the many aspects of dermatologic diagnosis and treatment by actively participating in the ambulatory and inpatient programs. The elective is conducted in all three departmental services; Skin and Cancer/Tisch Hospital, Bellevue Hospital and the Veteran's Administration Medical Center. There is an in-depth lecture series and teaching conferences daily. Medical students have no night call. For further details of the elective including student responsibilities and specific learning objectives, visit the Department of Dermatology website.
Objectives of the Elective
Students will be able to properly perform a history and physical examination on patients with skin diseases. Skin morphology will be mastered and used as a method to generate a differential diagnosis. Ability to recognize and treat common skin conditions, and determining when it is appropriate to refer patients to Dermatologists or other specialists should be mastered by the end of the elective.
Key Responsibilities of the student while on Elective
- Students are assigned to one of two Departmental services: Bellevue Hospital or the VA Hospital. Students are integral members of the health care team. Attendance at all clinic sessions is required. ANY absences or late arrivals to clinic must have prior authorization by the team attending physician.
- As they progress in the elective, students will see patients independently, performing histories and physical examinations and making therapeutic recommendations to their assigned resident mentor and/or attending physician.
- Students will always work under the direction of the resident physician and the attending physicians in the clinic.
- Students are expected to read extensively about their patient's conditions, not only textbooks, but also journals, to gain an understanding of the pathophysiology of cutaneous diseases.
- A short, formal presentation is required of all students, proctored by Dr. Miguel Sanchez.
Students will attend and participate in all Departmental Conferences including Journal Club, Textbook Review and Grand Rounds. Educational conferences are conducted every morning from 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. and every noon hour. The Bi-Weekly Reader lists all conferences and didactic sessions in the Department and is available in H-100.
Method of Evaluation
The team attending and resident physicians will submit a qualitative evaluation based on the student's clinical skills, presentations, attitudes, and overall performance. Dr. Miguel Sanchez, Director of Medical Student Electives in Dermatology, will collate this information and submit the final evaluation to the Dean's office.
Months Offered: All Year
Report To: 12th floor ACC (240 E 38th st) on 9 AM of first day of the elective.
Students Per Period: 8
Duration: Two or Four Weeks
Note: Visiting students may only sign up for a 4-week elective during the months of March-November. 2-week electives are for NYU students only.