National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases Summer Research Fellowship for MD Students
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) Summer Research Fellowship provides first-year MD students with opportunities to perform basic research in diabetes, digestive disorders, and kidney diseases. Your research is conducted under the guidance of NYU School of Medicine research mentors, and you receive a stipend.
Funded with a T35 training grant from the NIDDK, the eight-week summer fellowship is open to first-year medical students at NYU School of Medicine and other medical schools.
As an NIDDK Summer Research Fellow, you gain hands-on experience in research laboratories and have the opportunity to develop the following skills:
- critically reviewing research papers in basic science
- designing realistic and targeted research proposals
- employing laboratory methods, procedures, techniques, and equipment
- participating in the intellectual life of a research lab and making ethical decisions in this setting
- writing clear, concise research abstracts and papers
- presenting in a clear and precise manner during research lectures, group meetings, presentations, and poster sessions
Fellows also participate in weekly journal clubs and attend seminars on topics including translational research in progress, scientific integrity and the responsible conduct of research, and how to present at a journal club.
Applying for the NIDDK Summer Research Fellowship
To apply, browse our list of NIDDK Summer Research Fellowship mentors to learn about ongoing projects. Then contact a faculty research mentor to schedule an appointment to discuss the projects that interest you.
After meeting with applicants, our faculty research mentors invite one medical student per research project to apply for the NIDDK Summer Research Fellowship. Matriculated NYU School of Medicine students who are accepted into the program are automatically eligible to participate in our Honors Program.
The 2017 NIDDK Summer Research Fellowship application deadlines are as follows:
- Early application: due date, January 15, 2017; acceptance notification, February 1, 2017
- Standard application: due date, February 15, 2017; acceptance notification, March 1, 2017
All students can apply for a fellowship, regardless of whether they qualify for work-study opportunities.
If you’re selected as a candidate for the fellowship, contact Ashley Falzone, program coordinator, at email@example.com or at 646-501-5241 for more details about how to submit your application.