Thoracic Surgery Elective
Preceptor—Kimmel Pavilion: Michael D. Zervos, MD
Preceptor—NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue: Amie Kent, MD
Course Code: 17-18
Contact: Doris Y. Revilla, email@example.com
Prerequisites: Surgery & Medicine Clerkships
The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery offers a comprehensive elective in Thoracic Surgery. The student is exposed to the full spectrum of the subspecialty including benign and malignant diseases of the lungs, esophagus, mediastinum, trachea and airway, pleura, diaphragm, and chest wall. The student will experience a large volume of operative cases. NYU Langone Health has the largest cumulative robotic thoracic surgery experience in the country amongst the faculty. Clinical research projects are available for student participation. The rotation is 4 weeks in length, and we encourage students to individualize the experience for their own academic needs and particular interests.
Objectives of the Elective
During this elective, the student will be exposed to the full spectrum of thoracic surgery. In addition to the technical aspects of the operations, the student will learn the pathology and pathophysiology of the condition they are trying to treat. In addition, they will learn critical thinking skills that will help them manage thoracic surgery patients.
Key Responsibilities of the Student While On Elective
- Perform evaluations of patients seen in consultation.
- Learn to formulate relevant detailed differential diagnoses.
- Become familiar with surgical anatomy of the chest.
- Understand the goals of thoracic surgical therapy.
- Participate in pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative care of patients on the in patient service, in consultations throughout the hospital/emergency department, and in the clinic.
- Attend and participate in the department’s educational conferences.
- Attend clinic hours at least one half day per week.
Attend weekly and monthly conferences:
- Tuesday: 2:00 PM – Weekly student conference
- Wednesday: 7:00 AM – CT surgery department core curriculum conference
- Wednesday: 6:00 PM - Morbidity and Mortality Monthly Departmental Conference
- Friday: 7:00 AM – CT surgery department core curriculum conference
- Friday 7:00 AM - Multidisciplinary Thoracic Tumor Board
Method of Evaluation
Students are evaluated by the faculty including the course preceptor and the chief resident/fellow.
Months Offered: All Year
Report To: Doris Y. Revilla, Elective Coordinator, 212-263-7427
Students Per Period: 2
Duration: 4 weeks