Introduction to Telemedicine Elective
Prerequisites: This elective is available to all medical students who are Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certified (completion of FOCUS HIPAA module).
FOR NYU MATRICULATED STUDENTS ONLY
NYU Langone Health is a national leader in telemedicine and we have had a significant expansion of our virtual health program in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Telemedicine will constitute a significant part of our students’ future practice. The goal of this elective is to provide education and training in the unique skill set and competencies required for telemedicine.
The student will join faculty for Epic-integrated video visits using multiparty video technology. Students will develop skills such as building rapport, demonstrating empathy, good “webside manner,” and assessment, diagnosis, and counseling via telemedicine. Through didactics, assigned readings, and case discussions, students with learn key telemedicine legal, regulatory, reimbursement, technical, ethical, and access and equity considerations. Students will learn about virtual health initiatives across NYU Langone and explore innovative ways that technology can be incorporated into their future practice. Students will research a telemedicine topic tailored to their interests and personal goals, and present their findings at the end of the elective.
Objectives of the Elective
- Participate in telemedicine visits to learn skills including building rapport, communicating clearly and effectively, and providing education and counseling to patients virtually.
- Understand the history of telemedicine and the role of synchronous and asynchronous technologies in healthcare delivery transformation.
- Describe legal, regulatory, technical, access and equity considerations relevant to telemedicine.
Key Responsibilities of the student while on Elective
- Participate in telemedicine visits with NYU Langone faculty.
- Attend weekly didactics on telemedicine.
- Attend the NYU Langone Health Virtual Health Clinical Workgroup Meeting.
- Research a telemedicine topic and present findings at the end of the elective.
Months Offered: All months excluding July
Report To: Shabana Khan, MD
Students Per Period: 2
Duration: 2 weeks