Service Learning Elective
Preceptor: Victoria Dinsell, MD
Contact: Jordan Reif, MBE, email@example.com
Approval Process: Requires pre-approval by Dr. Dinsell and submission of the Service Learning Elective (SLE) application to the Registrar at least two weeks prior to the start of the elective.
The Service-Learning Elective encourages medical students to volunteer with a primary community service project over the course of three to six months. Throughout the elective, students will learn about community engagement and research models, consider their own position in varying communities, and reflect on their experiences and responsibilities.
Objectives of the Elective
The elective is designed to allow students the ability to take a deep dive into service-learning during their clinical years of medical school. They will fulfill preparatory requirements at the start of their service involvement, and be guided through thoughtful reflection to optimize the educational impact of their community service involvement. Elective objectives include:
- Society: To contribute to efforts to treat and manage public health issues through service to the community;
- Knowledge: To better understand the foundation of such medical and public health efforts; and
- Learners: To further develop students’ professional identities as healthcare providers, and personal identities as citizens, through enhanced social responsibility.
Key Responsibilities of the student while on Elective
- Students will fulfill the hourly requirements for service involvement required by the elective, and submit their hour-logs on time.
- Students will complete the required introductory module and preparatory activities.
- Students will complete the required reflection activities.
- Students will fill out the exit survey on completion of their elective participation.
The didactic components of the SLE include a mandatory introductory module and reflection related to the specific project the student chooses to participate in. Students will also be required to complete reflection activities on a regular basis throughout their elective period.
Method of Evaluation
Students will receive elective credit if they complete all required components of the elective as described above. Their hours and assignments will be managed and approved by Victoria Dinsell, MD and Jordan Reif.
Months Offered: All Year
Report To: Victoria Dinsell, MD, and Jordan Reif, MBE
Students Per Period: Unlimited
*The SLE is only offered as a longitudinal experience with 60 hours of service and up to 10 hours of preparation and reflection. SLE will count as 2-weeks of elective credit.
The SLE (longitudinal) is one of our non-traditional electives that also includes the Practice of Medicine Teaching Academy (2-weeks). While students can participate in the elective, the maximum amount of non-traditional elective time that can count towards the graduation elective requirement is 4-weeks.