Institute for Innovations in Medical Education Programs & Divisions
NYU School of Medicine’s Institute for Innovations in Medical Education is home to several divisions and programs: the Division of Educational Informatics, the Division of Education Quality, the Division of Learning Analytics, the Program for Digital Learning, and NYU School of Medicine’s Educator Community.
Division of Educational Informatics
For more than 20 years, the Division of Educational Informatics has served as an educational technology laboratory for informatics innovation at NYU School of Medicine. These innovations, along with digital applications, drive curricular evolution, enable NYU School of Medicine to meet its educational goals, promote teaching and learning in new ways, and serve as the basis of our reporting and regulatory compliance.
Education Data Section
The Education Data Section within the Division of Educational Informatics delivers high-quality longitudinal education data and advanced analytical tools. Its goals include building an analytics-driven quality management tool for various educational levels, from the program to the individual; improving students’ and trainees’ learning outcomes; and providing students, residents, and faculty with easy access to their own data and the programs they lead.
These goals encompass several areas, including the following:
- infrastructure development regarding NYU School of Medicine’s education data
- data visualization and dashboards
- advanced statistical computing, including predictive and prescriptive analytics and natural language processing
- self-service analytics
- integration of clinical and education data
- data governance and metrics development
Division of Education Quality
The Division of Education Quality evaluates curricular innovation and measures outcomes, across the continuum, from medical students to residents.
The division covers the following three main goals:
- to establish continuous quality improvement processes that ensure educational efforts are leading to intended learning outcomes
- to turn evaluation data into insight by producing evaluations that facilitate understanding and action
- to refine evaluation systems and workflows to create efficient, streamlined, consistent processes that make the best use of available resources while minimizing burden or disruption
Division of Learning Analytics
The Division of Learning Analytics works with health professions educators to design mechanisms for data collection and analysis.
The division encompasses the following two goals:
- to provide data and analysis templates for the development of individualized learning pathways at NYU School of Medicine, including ensuring that students and trainees receive constructive feedback on their progress toward mastery of competencies
- to apply principles of learning analytics to questions of teaching, learning, and retention and to evaluate real-time and data-based decision support tools for trainees and educators, including predictive models of learning
Program for Digital Learning
The Program for Digital Learning is dedicated to the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of digital learning resources for medical education. The program helps faculty to improve and standardize the delivery of their educational content. By collaborating with faculty, the program has developed more than 200 online learning modules and 30 multitouch, interactive ebooks for undergraduate and graduate medical education through the Digital Press.
Programs are being developed in the following eight areas:
- instructional design
- content development
- multimedia development
- digital publishing
- online learning
- exploration of augmented and virtual reality applications
- usability testing
- implementation and evaluation
NYU School of Medicine’s Educator Community supports faculty in advancing the educational mission by providing resources for educator skill development, mentoring, and scholarship.
The Educator Community has several goals:
- fostering and recognizing excellence in teaching and learning
- coordinating NYU School of Medicine’s existing educational offerings in an effective manner
- strengthening mechanisms that support the career advancement of medical educators
- cultivating opportunities for interdisciplinary educational innovation and scholarship
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive alerts about news and opportunities.