Kellar Family Division of Movement Disorders
The Kellar Family Division of Movement Disorders is dedicated to advancing the understanding and treatment of Parkinson’s disease and related conditions. We also educate the next generation of movement disorders experts, with the ultimate goal of preventing and curing these conditions. The mission of our clinicians and researchers is to provide excellent patient care while finding new and better treatments for individuals living with Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders.
NYU Langone Health’s Fresco Institute for Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders is a Parkinson’s Foundation Center of Excellence. We received this recognition—given to only a handful of programs around the world—in 2009.
The institute, originally named NYU Langone Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders Center, was founded in 2007 with the generous support of the Edmond J. Safra Philanthropic Foundation.
About the Fresco Institute
Thanks to a $25 million contribution from Marlene and Paolo Fresco, the Fresco Institute houses a wide-ranging international suite of clinical, educational, and research programs aimed at caring for people who have Parkinson’s disease or other movement disorders. We maintain a scientific and clinical collaboration between the United States and Italy, and invest significantly in both basic science and clinical research.
The Fresco Institute’s priority projects and goals include the following:
- advancing groundbreaking clinical and basic science research in the field of Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders
- pursuing new treatments that can affect the course of the disease and eventually contribute to a cure
- creating new opportunities for early-career scientists and researchers in Italy to acquire advanced knowledge of the NYU Langone model through an innovative fellowship program
- fostering new and lasting programmatic collaborations and shared projects in the United States and Italy, through the engagement of key institutions and foundations
- aiming to establish a new medical, research, and educational center in Italy, which will coordinate efforts with collaborators in Italy to support improved care and treatment for Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders
- strengthening existing patient- and family-centered programs and models of care at NYU Langone that embrace medical, rehabilitative, psychological, psychosocial, and supportive care, and transferring these programs to Italy
Andrew S. Feigin, MD
Executive Director, Fresco Institute for Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders
Steven J. Frucht, MD
Director, Kellar Family Division of Movement Disorders
Un Kang, MD
Director, Translational Research, Fresco Institute for Parkinson’s and Movement Disorders
To sign up for the Fresco Institute newsletter, email us at Parkinsons@NYULangone.org.