Psychoanalytic Medicine Elective
Preceptor: Elizabeth Horwitz, M.D.
Contact clerkship coordinator: Jeffrey Sanchez, Jeffrey.Sanchez@nyulangone.org
Tel: (646) 754-4845
Prerequisites: Any One-Core Clerkship
The faculty of the NYU Psychoanalytic Institute, in the Department of Psychiatry at New York University Grossman School of Medicine, offers an elective in Psychoanalytic Medicine. This elective provides the students with the opportunity to learn about psychoanalysis as a clinical field of practice, to become familiar with the psychoanalytic point of view, and to understand the relationship of psychoanalysis to general psychiatry and to medicine in general. The elective aims to introduce students to the basic principles of modern psychoanalytic theory and practice, and demonstrate their applicability in a variety of psychiatric settings and treatment of modalities. It is hoped that students will acquire a greater appreciation and understanding of the usefulness of psychodynamic listening, interviewing and formulation.
Key Responsibilities of the Student while on Elective
- Supervised in-depth evaluation interviews with suitable outpatients, in one of NYU Grossman School of Medicine's affiliated mental health clinics.
- An individualized reading tutorial.
- Attendance at psychoanalytically-oriented classes taught by Institute faculty in the NYU Psychiatric Residency Program and the Institute itself.
Prior exposure to analytic approaches varies widely and is not necessary to participate in this elective. All students are contacted prior to beginning the experience at NYU to best tailor the program to their needs, interests and level of experience. An Institute faculty member at the Department of Psychiatry serves as a preceptor for the student and oversees this elective.
- Weekly psychoanalytic reading tutorial.
- Weekly individual case supervision meetings.
- Weekly meeting with elective preceptor.
- Weekly classes with the residents within the psychodynamic curriculum. Classes vary depending on the time of year.
- PGY-1 Inpatient Interview Conference (VA Hospital - Tuesdays 12:00-1:00 PM
- Bellevue Mental Hygiene Clinic Conference (Mondays 9:00 - 10:30 AM)
- NYU Psychoanalytic Institute First Year classes (Saturday mornings)
Method of Evaluation
Students are evaluated based on comments from supervisors, tutorial instructors, and the elective preceptor. Students demonstrate their learning primarily through discussions with these members of the Institute faculty, and also in written case summaries and psychodynamic formations of the patients they interviewed.
Months Offered: All Year except Jul & Aug
Report to: Call Dr. Horwitz two weeks prior for location.
Students per period: 1
Duration: 4 Weeks