Institute for Innovations in Medical Education Consultation Services
The Institute for Innovations in Medical Education offers consultation services to faculty and staff who seek to use technology and other innovative tools for teaching and learning.
Email email@example.com with inquiries or to schedule a consultation.
Digital Resources for Medical Education
Faculty can turn to us for guidance in creating digital resources for medical education. Our expertise includes instructional and curricular design, visual design, multimedia development, and usability testing. We assist faculty in applying augmented and virtual reality in medical education, as well as in applying evidence-based approaches to using technology in education.
- Content creation - Our team has expertise in visual and multimedia development and usability testing.
- Instructional design - Given today's advances in educational technologies, there are many more decisions to be made as to how to integrate learning material effectively. Active learning and mobile learning can take your instruction to the next level.
- The Innovation Room - In a new collaborative learning and technology exploration space, faculty, learners, curriculum designers, and engineers come together to investigate emerging media and technologies like virtual reality for medical education. Get connected to local experts and find out more about the latest projects.
We assist faculty in using educational technologies that improve the learning environment.
- Mobile computing - Leveraging the Learner iPad Program to improve how educational content is delivered and accessed within the educational environment
- Curriculum data management and the use of Brightspace, NYU School of Medicine's learning management system for undergraduate and graduate medical education
- Creating an effective visualization requires a blending of perception science and analytics. Staff at the Institute for Innovations in Medical Education have experience in designing graphics using best practices in data visualization. Faculty can learn to create standard visualizations using Excel and Tableau and highly customizable graphics in R, a programming language and software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- Cleaning data for analysis, or data wrangling, requires a huge amount of effort. Our faculty and staff have experience in using data software tools that apply tidy data principles to messy data sets. The application of tidy principles and tools helps faculty concentrate on the most important part of working with data: using it for quality improvement.
- Reproducible research entails combining data wrangling, data analysis, visualization, and reporting in the same environment. We can train and support faculty in using the statistical software package R to create a reproducible research environment for education research projects.
Education Study Design
We help faculty to design education studies for research and analysis.
- Educational research design - As education researchers, we can help strengthen your design either based on our experience or just by having a second set of eyes go through your place. We can also connect you to other collaborative groups at the medical school that can support you as well.
- Education data analysis - Analyzing education research data can quickly become complicated. We have expertise in some of the more advanced education research data analysis methods including linear modeling, item-response theory, classical test theory, and learning curve methodologies.
- IRB protocols for education studies - Education research often goes through the IRB in a separate channel from clinical research. We can help you distinguish which route applies to your proposed study.
Program Evaluation and Assessment Measures
Our consultation services are focused on the integrated, longitudinal evaluation of curriculum to promote understanding and action.
- Analyzing and interpreting qualitative education data, including text-based data
- Designing and implementing surveys
- Evaluating existing and new curricular elements
- Making decisions with evaluation data
- Measuring and assuring quality for teaching, learning and evaluation
- Software for statistical analysis
- Using the Medical Education Student and Resident Research Registries
- Visualizing data and designing dashboards
Self-Service Business Intelligence Tools
We provide consultation services to help faculty leverage tools and technologies for data collection, assessment, and evaluation.
- Building and sharing interactive, dynamic dashboards and reports
- Metrics development
- Setting up data-driven alerts
- Using self-service business intelligence tools for data discovery and decision-making
- Utilizing advanced statistical computing and machine learning