Molecular Oncology & Tumor Immunology PhD Training Program
The Molecular Oncology and Tumor Immunology PhD Training Program at NYU School of Medicine’s Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences offers candidates a choice of research focus in either cancer biology or tumor immunology.
Our program emphasizes the molecular, genetic, cellular, and pathophysiological aspects of cancer and immunity, as well as translational discovery and clinical cancer biology. Coursework provides a solid foundation in all aspects of modern cancer biology and immunology and the interrelationship between the two disciplines.
As a PhD candidate, you conduct research that incorporates the study of animal models and human disease, as well as molecular, genetic, and cell biological approaches. Laboratory research opportunities run the gamut of basic studies of cancer cell biology and include the following:
- analysis of the nature and function of cancer stem cells
- applied approaches to cancer and immunity such as targeted tumor cell killing, tumor gene therapy, production of antitumor vaccines, and immunological and molecular approaches to cancer therapy
- basic studies of tumor progression over a wide range of cancer models, including breast, prostate, bladder, and pancreatic cancer; melanoma; neuroblastoma; and leukemias
- cell cycle control
- function of oncogenes and tumor suppressors
- maintenance of genome and chromosome integrity
- regulation of gene expression and signal transduction pathways
- regulation of protein degradation
Our program brings together investigators from across NYU School of Medicine who employ tools of molecular biology and genetics; sophisticated imaging technologies; and genome-wide genetic, chemical, and proteomic analysis of cancer and immunity.
For additional information about the program, contact David E. Levy, PhD, program director, at email@example.com, or Tony Huang, PhD, graduate advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, email email@example.com.