Advanced Medicine Sub-Internship for Visiting Students
Prerequisites: Completion of all Core Clerkships, Submission of Official School Transcript, USMLE Step 1 Score Report and meet the requirements for visiting students.
This Sub-Internship is offered only to visiting senior medical students, from US LCME approved schools, who wish to assume the responsibility of an intern at Bellevue Hospital, Tisch Hospital, VA New York Harbor Healthcare System-New York Campus, or the NYU Langone Hospital-Brooklyn, formerly known as NYU Lutheran Medical Center. Each student is asked to be a Sub-Intern under the supervision of a Resident and an Attending Physician on one of these inpatient Medicine service.
Objective of the Elective
Our goal is to expand upon the knowledge and skills obtained during the Core Clerkships, particularly those in Medicine, with a "hands-on" experience so that students are prepared to be reliable, efficient and valuable Interns in any residency training program.
Key Responsibilities of the student while on Elective
A student who participates in this elective will be expected to:
- Assume an Intern’s schedule including Call and Weekend Coverage. Currently this does not include any overnight calls and is compliant with ACGME requirements. The clinical care responsibilities include weekends and holidays during the block that are identical to the intern schedule.
- Work closely with the supervising Resident and Attending Physician to care for assigned patients, including appropriate documentation, order entry and consultation.
- Attend and participate in daily work rounds as well as attending rounds at the assigned teaching hospital.
- Perform appropriate procedures under the supervision of Residents or Attending Physicians.
- Be aware of assigned teaching sites’ patient safety protocols, including appropriate escalation procedures and activation of Codes/Rapid Response teams.
- Attend assigned sites daily didactics, including weekly Intern Core Conference and Department of Medicine Grand Rounds.
The visiting student must be present at daily Attending Rounds and Noon Conference at each of their assigned institutions. Students will also attend weekly Intern Core Conference and the Department of Medicine Grand Rounds.
Method of Evaluation
The visiting students are graded on a PASS/FAIL basis. The final grade is based on daily attendance as well as the observations and assessments of the on-service Residents and Attending Physicians who have worked with the student during the course of the elective.
Months Offered: This elective is offered year-round, space permitting.
Institutions: The visiting students are assigned to a medical team at one of the NYU Grossman School of Medicine teaching hospitals mentioned above based on availability.
Report To: Visiting students are to report the assigned teaching hospital by 7:00 AM on their first day for sign out and orientation. The details will be sent to the student prior to the start of the rotation.
Students Per Period: This will be determined each block, depending on availability. NYU students will have priority over block selection.
Duration: 4 weeks