Faculty Third & Sixth Year Review
At NYU Grossman School of Medicine, the third- and sixth-year reviews provide each full-time, junior, tenure-track faculty member with a critical assessment of his or her progress. The review can give junior faculty an opportunity to obtain advice pertinent to their academic career.
Advice can include suggestions on relevant activities, such as teaching, research, and scholarly achievements. The review may also serve as a source of practical advice on preparing manuscripts, grant applications, and presentations in teaching or research seminar venues.
Faculty may use our third- and sixth-year review form to prepare for their review.
Here is a step-by-step description of what you can expect from a review.
In January of your third or sixth year of service, contact your department chair to determine when the departmental appointments and promotion committee may finish the review, which must be completed by August 31.
In September of each academic year, the Office of Faculty Records notifies the chair and departmental administrator of each department in which faculty are eligible for review. The Office of Faculty Records may communicate any earlier internal deadlines to the departments to ensure compliance with NYU Grossman School of Medicine policy.
Ensure that you have held the required annual meeting with your mentoring committee prior to the third- and sixth-year reviews.
The department sends all eligible faculty the review form, Report of the Mandatory Third and Sixth Year Review.
Complete Part One of the third- and sixth-year review form, Report of the Mandatory Third and Sixth Year Review, which should include the following information:
- appointed academic track
- time allocated to education, research, and clinical missions
- summary of your professional goals
- a list of publications from the past three years
- a list of all abstracts and publications
- a list of past research awards, in chronological order
- a summary of current research
- a list of current research awards
- a list of pending research awards
- current teaching responsibilities at NYU Grossman School of Medicine
- expected goals, based on your meeting with the department chair
- summaries of service for NYU Grossman School of Medicine; your division, department, or lab; and external organizations, honors, and awards
The departmental appointments and promotion committee reviews the third- and sixth-year review form and accompanying information, completes Part Two of the form, and sends these documents to the department chair for review.
The department chair and faculty member review Parts One and Two of the form and then complete Part Three and submit all three parts to the Office of Faculty Records.
The department chair provides the outcome of the review in writing to the dean’s office.