Craniofacial Orthodontic Fellowship
Name of Program
Craniofacial Orthodontic and Special Needs Fellowship at the New York University Medical Center New York, New York
Pradip R Shetye, DDS
Fellowship Contact Information
Margy Maroutsis, Phone- 212 263 5204, Fax- 212 263 0882, Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Location and Affiliated Hospitals
Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery
307 East 33rd Street
New York, New York 10016
New York University Medical Center
Hansjörg Wyss Department of Plastic Surgery
560 First Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Requirements for Acceptance to Fellowship
Candidates for this fellowship program must have graduated from an ADA accredited dental school and orthodontic residency program. Applications must be received no later than October 15th of the year prior to the start of the fellowship.
Length of Training Program
Appointments are for 12 months from July 1st through June 30th
Descriptions of the Fellowship:
This was the first ADA accredited post orthodontic residency fellowship program in the USA, thatwas designed to provide advanced training and skills for the, management of patients with Craniofacial Anomalies and Special Care requirements (CFA&SC). These patients have a wide range of congenital and acquired craniofacial anomalies that affect the craniofacial complex and stomatognathic system, requiring complex multidisciplinary care. The focus of this subspecialty of orthodontics includes but is not limited to: patients with cleft lip and palate, syndromic craniosynostosis and other craniofacial anomalies, dentofacial deformities, craniofacial surgery, orthognathic surgery, distraction osteogenesis, nasoalveolar molding and special care orthodontics.
Graduates of the program will develop skills in the diagnosis and treatment planning for patients with complex craniofacial anomalies, cleft lip and palate. They will work with both two and three dimensional diagnostic record sets in performingcraniofacial orthodontic diagnosis and treatment plans. The Fellow will be exposed to a large clinical population of both pediatric and adult patients with congenital and acquired craniofacial abnormalities. The goal of the program is to train individuals to take an active role on a cleft and craniofacial treatment team.
This Fellowship will provide the orthodontic graduate with experience in the following clinical areas:
- Presurgical orthopedics (Nasoalveolar Molding) for infants born with cleft lip and palate.
- Orthodontic management of patients with cleft or craniofacial anomalies from the deciduous through adult dentition and attainment of skeletal maturity.
- Surgical/orthodontic treatment planning, pre and post surgical orthodontic management, surgical splint design and construction, and insertion of surgical fixation splints in the operating room.
- 3D Computer based surgical and craniofacial orthodontic planning.
The Fellow participates in weekly craniofacial and cleft conference. Both conferences have specialist from craniofacial surgery, speech, nursing, ENT, neurosurgery, genetics, prosthodontics, social work and psychology. Interdisciplinary treatment planning sessions are scheduled routinely to examine patients with the surgeons and other specialty team members as needed. Generally all complex treatment plans are presented to the patient with the surgeon present. The orthodontic fellow works closely with the surgical craniofacial fellow in surgical treatment planning.
Fellows will be expected to initiate and complete at least one clinical research project during their training. These will be mentored by craniofacial orthodontic or plastic surgery faculty members. The fellow is expected to present a research paper at national or international meeting during the Fellowship period.
- Stipend available please call the office for details.
- Fellows are covered for malpractice and are eligible for group life insurance, medical insurance, and disability.
State Licensure Requirements
- Candidates must have a New York License or NYS Limited Permit.
- Pradip R. Shetye, DDS, Assistant Director of Craniofacial Orthodontic Fellowship
- Lawrence E. Brecht, D.D.S., Maxillofacial Prosthodontist
- David Hirsh, MD, Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Christina Carter , DDS Pediatric Dentist
- David A. Staffenberg,MD, DSc, Craniofacial Surgeon
|Douglas P. Olson, DMD||2014|
|Banafsheh Hosseinian, DDS||2015|
|Laura Mancini, DMD, MSD||2016|